Tuesday, June 2, 2009

May '09 Utah Visit

Back in October when I visited my Grandfather and went to my friends wedding in Utah I said I would be back in the spring.  So on May 15th I returned.  What a great trip!  I went to my nephew's 4 year old birthday party, ran a 1/2 marathon and attended our annual family Memorial Day get together.   I was sad to leave (27th) but I missed my family in Arkansas.

Thanks Mom, Grandpa and Jennifer for a great visit.  I miss and love you all very much.


Jennifer, my sister, who throws great theme birthday parties.  This one was crazy organized and the kids had a fun time.

The big 4.



Grandpa Astle & cousin Tiffany.



We headed up to the cemetery on Saturday to put flowers on the sites.



A father and his two sons.



Heather trying to get a photo with Parker - Addy wanted to get in on the shoot. 

The big race... Jennifer (sister) & I trained for 12 weeks and the day had finally arrived. (Some how Jennifer's idea of us running became reality - how she talked me into I don't know..hmm?)
I was a nervous wreck - it started two days before the race when we went to pick up
our race packets.  What is up with that?  I felt like I was at a high school track meet all over again.



Race results: Amy - 2:00:49  Jennifer: 2:02:? Our goal was to do it in 2 hrs so I don't count that :49... If I do another one I will want to break 2.


Trying to show the back of our race shirts... when do you think they will make women's sizes?
I guess we have to run in an all women race...darn.


Memorial Day Party... bring your own meat and a side to share...




Memorial Days are hard work...sometimes you just have to take a nap.

Addy, are you looking at the camera and is that a smile?


The Ninja Game


It is hard to believe that Andrea and I are "grown-ups" - what happened to the days of
barbies and pretending we were going out with Bo and Luke Duke?


Michael pulled a hammy racing the kids, but he won - and that is what really matters. 



Grandpa Astle was given a flag, he is a WWII vet. - but he is not dead. 

Practicing?


The cemetery where Grandma Astle's mom is buried. 
As a kid this was one of my favorite to visit because of the headstones (upright) & the age of
some of the headstones.   There are a lot of people that were born in the late 1800's.




You can't go up town for Memorial Day and not stop at the Iceberg for a thick shake!


Jennifer and her butterfinger mini shake- they are NOT mini.
I had a red raspberry - YUM!

THE END....

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I was sad we missed out on the memorial day holiday. It must have been so strange to be visiting Grandma's grave - Memorial Day was always such a big deal to her. Next time you better consult with me about your plans for going out to Utah so we can both be there at the same time :)

Jennifer said...

You got great pics. I will have to get copies when we come out. OOO and I want one of those shakes right now!

Heather said...

It was a lot of fun having you here. I'm glad you survived your big race. I always get the raspberry or strawberry shake at Iceberg too. Those are scrumptious!!!