Saturday, November 8, 2008

Silver Dollar City 5K Results...

Ever since I hurt my achilles tendon about 1 1/2 or 2 years ago my running has lacked motivation. Part of it was worrying about injuring myseld again, the other part was just getting motivated to get my butt out there and start running. My OLD goal was to run flat 7 min. miles in a 5K and then deep down I wanted to beat that. I came very close to those 7 min miles but then I was broken. ANYWAY - I decided I needed to go at it again - the running part - not the 7 min mile (not yet at least). My new found motivation - my pants were getting snug.

Last night Cameron and I ran the Silver Dollar City 5K for the 3rd year. Each year I have been a tad slower - I could give you the reasons but that would be long and boring. This year I had a goal of not going any slower than a 10 min miles since I have been out of it for a while and I really wanted one more month of training for this race.

They changed the course so when I was running I had not idea how far we had gone - there was not a mile marker to be found. I am quite competitive in my head ( I try not to talk smack :) and I try and encourage others although I might be thinking, "I must beat you." so it is hard for me to be somewhat not in the shape I want to be in - and I must remind myself as I am running that this is just for fun this time - no PR to be made and that if I run too fast too long I will not make it to the end which would be even worse than running slower than I had planned.

All went well - I would see Cameron WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY far away on the switch backs and that was fun and helped distract me from thinking I could not take a deep enough breath to get more air. I finished in a 26 something. So I was pleased BUT the highlight of my night was Cameron. He has wanted to place in this race in his age group everytime we have been and he has just missed it the last two times.

He came in third in his age division (15 and under) with a time of 20:22. So he came home with a medal and even better his best 5K time yet. There was a lot of down hill and he can really fly down them. He is so smooth and fast it looks so effortless . His coach says he is the best down hill kid he has trained. This will probably be the last year Cameron gets to run this race because the AR state track meet is always the next day and he will be able to run in it as a highschool student (9th grader) next year. So it was very satifying for him to be able to reach his goal.

5 comments:

Bobbi Lee said...

Congrats to both of you! Proud of you for running, period!

MAstle said...

Congratulations to both of you! But especially to Cameron for placing. I was going to take up running, but the doctor who poked around in my knee said part of the bone is exposed-not protected by meniscus-and if I start running a lot it'll get sore. So you'll just have to be satisfied with the idea that if I did take up running, I would beat all you guys, you, Cameron, Barry, Jamie, everybody.

Andy Chasteen said...

Wow, that kiddo is getting fast!!!

I'm thinking of masterminding the Horseshoe Hell Marathon next year at the ranch! If Barry says yes... You would have to run in it.

Laura K said...

Kudos to you both! You rock, Cameron. And Amy, my pants are a bit too snug too and I haven't moved any faster than usual.

Weavers said...

That sounds like fun. I've never run an organized 5k before. I have to be selective in the races I enter because Jared can't understand why I'd pay to run, so I track all of my "PR's" on the treadmill. Good job in the race, to both of you guys. Looks like you killed your 10 min. per mile goal! That's always nice!