Last year Jennifer and I ran a 1/2 marathon (Jennifer's idea). A month later she got a phone call from a Wastach Back team needing a runner substitute. What is Wasatch Back you might ask? It is a race consisting of 188 miles and 12 runners. Thinking it sounded kind of fun she said yes. After the race she said, "Probably never again." Later on in the year she said, "We need to get a family team together."
I said I was on board, why not try this "out of your mind" event. With a little trying she could tell getting a family team together would be out of the question so I suggested she check with her old team to see if they were interested in two silly sisters joining them in 2010. So that is how it began....
You have 12 team members running 3 legs for a final distance of 188 miles. All kinds of people come to accomplish this task. Some, like us, to say "WE DID IT!", other to accomplish a running goal and some, like the ones in the crazy costumes I am not sure. We saw a man running in a full bunny suit running up a hill in the heat of the day.
You gotta love the "honey holes". Thank goodness there was always plenty.
Early race time, before we were sleep deprived and worn out!
Don't forget your orange flag to cross the street.
Still smiling!
Jennifer just before her last leg, day #2. The RAGNAR. The ragnar leg is the hardest leg of the race. There were two of them. One for Jennifer and one for me. Nothing like 4 miles pretty much straight up a gravel road. It was more like a hike than a run for me, but I DID IT!
Will I do it again? Not next year I don't think. It was a great experience. I had a great time getting to know all the girls in the my van (shout out to van #2). The hardest part was the mental trial...not enough sleep really plays havoc on your mental happiness while trying to physically exert yourself.
Thanks Huffin and Puffin for letting be part of your team.

No comments:
Post a Comment